With the cold weather upon us, I realized I needed a new pair of slippers; my pair from the past few years had been too worn out to last past March. Buying a new pair of slippers wasn't an option, so with necessity being the mother of invention, I repurposed some items I already had to make a pair of slippers for myself.
I used two previously thrifted items, both found new with tags: a pair of Ryka sneakers and a J. Jill re:create cardigan. I ended up not liking the way the sneakers looked on my feet, and I accidentally put the cardigan in the dryer. The sweater didn't felt at all but it did shrink quite a bit. I loved the embroidery and trim on the sweater, so I added it to my fabric stash.
(of course, I forgot to take "before" photos: luckily, Google images came to the rescue.)
Together, they made a cozy pair of slippers, with soles perfect for mad dashes outside for taking out the trash, letting out the dogs, or running out to the garage for this or that.
I used the two front panels to wrap around the shoes. I fed the mary jane straps through the sweater "wrap" and covered the straps using the trim from the cuffs of the sleeves. One side of the trim was ribbon and the other sweater, so I simply cut a slit into the sweater side and fed the strap inside. The buttons, also from the sweater, are purley decorative; I cut away the sweater from the velcro on both the strap and shoe. Some places are securely glued, others sewn.
I'm really happy with how they turned out.